Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Homemaking - Keeping a Record


I'm doing two new family history projects this year.

One project is a-picture-a-day on Instagram.  I write a family letter most every Sunday evening with the news, thoughts, and events of our week.  This year, as I print and file the letters in a journal, I'll add the Instagram photos. Here are a few examples from this month:


Ande used to do all of our ironing when she was in high school
and I was busy.  Today I returned the favor.

#ioweher   #day5  1-5-15  


Melanie (who now lives 70 miles away) called and left a message saying,
"I'm passing your house and called to say, 'hello.'  I know you're busy so I'll
call next time I'm in town."  Even though I never answer the phone in the
WalMart line (I can only handle so much confusion and
Walmart + tabloid aisle + candy bar shelf + phone = pandemonium) I
called her back and said, "Help! I need a haircut badly and I have
sewing scissors or kitchen shears you can use.  Please turn around."  She did
and met me at home and cut my hair and laughed and visited and ate cake with me.
Everyone needs a friend like Melanie.  

#day9  1-9-15


Chores.
#day17  1-17-15


W'ere going to have neighbors 256 steps from our kitchen door.
#wonthavetogofartoborrowsugar   #day19   1-19-15


This is not a throwback picture. No sir, that is me sporting my 1990's
coat AND the price of gas in the reflection is 1990's gas prices --
a full gas tank for less than $24.  

#day20   1-20-15


The pictures cover the routine that isn't necessarily recorded in the weekly letter and yet is a very real part of life.  It's the easiest record-keeping I've ever done.

I'll share the other idea next week . . .



3 comments:

Watson Family said...

I love your record keeping, your blog posts, and love for life in general. When I'm feeling down, I know I can come to your blog for a smile, a good story, and overall inspiration that lifts me up, time and time again. Thank you, dear stranger friend, truly.

Amie said...

I love this idea! I wish I had known about it at the beginning of the year. I like to start things "on time".

Kathy’s Korner said...

Such a great way to document your week! How fun that Melanie came back and cut your hair, she is a great friend. I usually blog to our family every night, but the internet was so slow on our Book of Mormon tour, that I started texting them all day with photos and comments. The kids loved it, they felt like there were there! I bought an international plan for $30 and had unlimited texting, so worth it! Isn't it wonderful that we can communicate instantly? I think of our grandparents and how long it took to get news, I am so grateful!!!!!